Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Casualties of the Times

Casualties of the Times

1. Cub
2. Electric Snow
3. Pirate Song
4. Media Medium
5. I Don’t Know (I Just Know)
6. Real Doll Delivery
7. Distracted (By You)
8. Cool
9. The Shaman

10. Matchbook Collector
11. Hypergraphia
12. What You Need
13. Slow Train Night
14. Washing Machine
15. Lost in the Applause
16. The Quiet
17. Reflections
18. Cut Your Teeth


I started out trying to write a Year Zero style work, then it turned into a sorta sprawl decadent work, then existential/religious pondering that almost returned full circle, but didn't. I almost broke this off into two projects, then decided not to, and the result is what stands. Songs were written after saying I was done song writing, that the chapter of my life that they best suited chronicling and converting into art was over. Beyond philosophical pondering it draws very little from life. Like Ruin Bound and Wall of Sound, it came at a transitory period where I found my creativity running in different directions, trying to find a new voice and reason to pursue this when prose writing continued to prove more desirable and practical (seeing as I was doubtful then and certain now that at this point I have no interest in forming another band in the foreseeable future). I was drawing on a lot of different influences on this one. Albums like In Rainbows left me paying a lot more attention to singing and different structural forms that lyrics can take. Older works from artists like Gary Numan, NIN, Tool, and Sonic Youth (particularly Sister) also inspired the material in a lot of ways. In the process of drawing from those artists however it did become one of the more explicit works I've written. I decided to not go work safe on this one and include a range of words I previously wouldn't use in lyrics; it's a very uncensored work, reflective of the subject matters it addresses and characters it follows.

This sat on the shelf for a bit because its so different from what I'd done before while also painfully being the same. To Make My Peace With You felt like such a good place to stop writing lyrics. It felt like in order for me to write anything else, it would have to one-up it, or at the very least be a kind of upbeat epilogue to that. So... writing something new that had so many bitter songs felt regressive and utterly disappointing. However, coming up with title helped significantly in rationalizing the work. It is an afterthought. It's about a series of characters that didn't make it to the happy ending I felt some of the characters in the previous two works finally had. They aren't all doomed characters (but some are), though they are all wounded characters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home