Saturday, January 17, 2009

Casualties of the Times: Distracted (By You)

Distracted (By You)


It’s almost nighttime
All the cars are pouring out
Of factories and office buildings
A golden chain of headlights climbing up the hill
And I’m at the playground
(Watching from the monkey bars)
The world’s so wounded but it still feels numb
Time is slipping with each grain fallen
Impotent heart
My eyes won’t tear

I don’t see why you don’t go
Though its not that I don’t want you here
Lord knows, I’d be an addict in the attic adding up the ticks of the clock
That’s what I would do… but….
I get so distracted…
I get so distracted…
I get so distracted… by you…
By you…
By you…
By you…

A broken skyline
Army blanket under cold July
I feel your pale arms over your head
Peeling your shirt off as I cry, “this world’s all wrong!
And I’m not right!”
(I’m in quicksand, flailing)
Cause all of my dreams have turned on me
My childhood sense of security
Cynical laugh
Shield my sincerity

I still can’t see what keeps you here
Fighting the ocean of my disparity
Lord knows, I’m just an addict in an attic adding up the ticks of the clock
‘Til I can diffuse… all thoughts…
‘Cause lord knows that I have had it with this pageant of imaginary applause
Life has no excuse… but…
I get so distracted…
So distracted…
I get so distracted… by you…
By you…
By you…
By you…


February 29, 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home