Friday, May 23, 2008

Now and Then: No Answers, Still...

No Answers, Still…

I exited through the far door
To hide from my past life
And there away from others’ eyes
You were sharpening a knife
I asked what were you doing
And you said, “is it not clear?”
Then I asked you, “for what reason?”
And you asked, why do I fear?

We came to an agreement
Written in-between our words
Then pretended not to sign it
Watching the pregnant horse
Her hooves within the water
Her burden heavy hung
She had no clues to give us
We were living different songs

You’ve seen me with my weakness
You have seen me deeply tired
Head hung behind their curtain
Thoughts dwelling on things dire
Wondering will this bleak rehearsal
Be like Leonard’s or like Phil’s
You offer me no answer
But you stand beside me still




September 19, 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger Cory Capron said...

So this song was meant to be about taking a leap of faith with someone, not a suicide pact, which in retrospective, it really reads like!

To make matters worse, the line about Leonard and Phil is referring to Leonard Cohen, who wrote Dress Rehearsal Rag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mxQ3nttY6g) but went on to live a happy life (at least in the later years), and Phil Ochs, who's album Rehearsals for Retirement did foreshadow his eventual suicide.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home