Friday, April 25, 2008

Twilight Hour: Old Man Joe's Anthem of the Passing Prime

Old Man Joe’s Anthem of the Passing Prime

Well you been around town
But you ain’t gonna get around me
You been around town
But you ain’t gonna get around me…
Cause you’re a two-timing, cheap rhyming
Scammer with the man a-crying
Foot loose, spruced goose
Yellow as a dandelion
Dying to live out some fantasy…
And you say that you’ve been around town
But you’re nothing but a weed to me

Well you’ve been over the river
But you ain’t gonna get over me
You’ve been over the river
But you ain’t gonna get over me…
Cause you’re a gutter mouth cave trout
Trying hard to figure out
The hush-hush and rush-rush
Slipping in the dirty slush
Too crushed to know what is happening…
And you might’ve been over the river
But the river don’t flow like me

I climbed the mountain
I soaked in the shine
But will you be the passing of my prime?

Well you think you’re the best
But you’re just like the rest to me
You think you’re the best
But you’re just like the rest to me…
Cause you’re a firm gripping, slurp-sipping
Finger-lickin’ boneless chicken
Clean shaved, early graved
Smoking like you’ve been saved
Raving in your youthful majesty…
And I’m sure you think you’re the best
But you’re just another test for me

Every day is numbered
The hourglass ain’t on my side
So will you be the passing of my prime?

(Bridge)
I’ve been well aged, well staged
Still can turn a wet page
Streetwise, idolized
Sold out and monopolized
Been heart broke, sweat soaked
A late night TV joke
An old fashion party crashing
Basher of the nice folk
I’ve been… misheard
Blistered
Yelling out a… blank word
I’ve had a lock-jawed mock applaud
Booed out without a doubt
Whistle blown, horse thrown
Sucking on dry spout…

I climbed the mountain
I soaked in the shine
Now will you be the passing of my prime?
Now will you be the passing of my prime?
Now will you be the passing
Will you be the passing
Now will you be the passing of my prime?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home