Saturday, April 05, 2008

Ages of Cages

This song book was written in 2002. This is where I feel my writing began to improve to a point where I was happy with it. A lot had happened to build up this. Everything one would expect historically effected the atmosphere I was writing it in, but also deaths in family, a big high-school crush, an amazing music scene that I was beginning to see, No Shame Theater and so much more. It was one of the most interesting periods of my life thus far. Art seemed to be sweating from the bricks of Charlottesville.

That said. It's also showing some age. Some songs seem too forced now. I was trying too hard to be Dylan. Other influences included Leonard Cohen, Velvet Underground, Elvis Costello, and little touches of The Clash. Overall, I'm still proud of the ambition, and find the apocalyptic optimism of the whole thing deliciously nostalgic. 

2.     Ages of Cages
3.     Rain to Snow
5.     The Drop
11.    Moonchild

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home