Monday, June 22, 2009

Hold On

Hold On

1. Three Fingers and a Mariner’s Song
2. Tough Love
3. Maybe if Lucky
4. Wolves and Sheep
5. Rude Awakenings
6. Some Still Remain
7. Want It
8. Suffice to Waltz
9. Nectarine
10. Sometimes You Need to Lose
11. Leave Again
12. Hell or High Water
13. Whale in a River of Americana Dreams
14. Border Town
15. Last Offerings


I seriously considered leaving this one on the shelf. I've almost always had the approach of taking everything in from life experiences, second hand-stories, books and other media and pure musings, throwing them in a mental blender and setting it to puree until the finished product is complete fiction but still feels true (ideally anyway). Maybe I didn't set it to puree for long enough on this one. There are lots of chunks of me that are recognizably me... but they are often stuck to larger pieces that are fiction or simply not me. For example, I went to New York last winter, but Leave Again was written before the trip. It may seem like I drew from that trip, but in truth it only reflects my time in New York in the sense that I didn't feel the song was a complete misrepresentation that should be discarded after seeing the real place. The same can be said of other people around me; no character is really drawn from a single person if a real person was used at all. Still, while I can always explain away every song, it felt especially easy to misinterpret them in any number of ways I didn't like, and as a result I became terribly self-conscious and even told my fiancee it wold probably only exist on my computer and as the copy I gave her.

I changed my mind mostly because I could give this disclaimer. Yes I wrote it across a massive relationship arc from good, to crisis, to recovery, to happily reformed better than ever. Yes, it was written during my senior year at UVA, and possibly the end of my academic career. And yes, it was written during one of the most significant presidential elections of my life-time so far. That said, like all of my works, I can't imagine a more perilous way to approach these songs than to assume they are autobiographical. It's all very personal on one level or another, but first and foremost it is art.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home