Sunday, May 25, 2008

To Make My Peace With You: My Thoughts Return to You

My Thoughts Return to You

Well you’re long-gone and thank goodness
Guess you finally understood this
That I don’t need you no more baby
Haven’t even thought of you much lately
And though you are not in the room
I say it to nothing just as true
And in this way
My thoughts return to you

Funnel webs in the window
Look like specter tornadoes
Look like maelstroms without water
That spider moves fast as an otter
Like I saw swim at the zoo
You would recall – you were there too
And once again
My thoughts return to you

It’s getting late in the evening
And I’m sweating little streams
And I can hear them tomcats fighting
Trashcan thunder for the heat lightning
On the 4th you looked like heaven
But now my zeal is somewhat deadened
Still, once again
My thoughts return to you

I’ve been drinking stouts and ambers
Swingin’ at crane flies with a claw hammer
Trying to write a letter or something
Madder than Hunter S. Thompson
You said you prefer Norman Mailer
I like him too – oh man, I’m a failure!
I did it again!
My thoughts returned to you

I can’t quit you baby
I can’t end this the way I’ve tried
I’ve got it all under control – yes I do
But that last laugh
Is killing me inside

I’m mowing the lawn after midnight
Bobbing graceful as a lead kite
With a toothache – feels just like her
Spitting rum in the bonfire
And the sirens came a-yelling
The neighbors said that they’d smelled somethin’
I’m scrambling up to the rooftop
Firemen are begging me not to jump
But the smoke’s thickened to a haze
And these shingles they need replacing
What way to start a brand new day!

I’m waking in the hospital
With a little bit of spittle
And the nurse is quite the dish
But all this gauze seems to sure itch
And I’m not looking to replace you
I just wish I could misplace you
And thus again
My thoughts return to you




August 3, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home